Kamat's Potpourri Kamat Research Database  
Kamat's PotpourriNew Contents
About the Kamats
Feedback
History of India
Women of India
Faces of India
Indian Mythologies
geographica indicaArts of India
Indian Music
Indian Culture
Indian Paintings
Dig Deep Browse by Tags
Site Map
Historical Timeline
Master Index
Research House of Pictures
Stamps of India
Picture Archive
Natives of India
Temples of India
Kamat Network
Blog Portal


(Keyword Search)

Homage to Khajuraho (Editorial)

Title:Homage to Khajuraho (Editorial)
Author:Anand, Mulk Raj, C.P.
Publication:Marg
Enumeration:Vol. 10 Issue no. 3; June 1957, p. 2-5
Abstract:The Khajuraho temples, built by the Chandela kings during 950-1050 were a part of the manifestation of the Shiva-Shakti cult. Although they developed from the architectural and sculptural elements of the Gupta period, a shift in emphasis is visible from architecture to sculpture. This trend continued up to the 18th century in central, eastern, and southern India. The Khajuraho sculptures illustrate the fundamental aspect of the Hindu faith since vedic times: that the Universe is the outcome of the cosmic union between the male and female principle. A map of the ruins at Khajuraho follows the editorial.

Source of Abstract: Provided by Publisher

Tools:

Kamat Reference Database

Kamat's Potpourri Research Database Abstracts

.

© 1995-2013 Kamat's Potpourri All Rights Reserved. Do not reproduce without prior permission. Some disclaimers apply