Kamat's Potpourri Kamat Research Database  
Kamat's PotpourriNew Contents
About the Kamats
Feedback
History of India
Women of India
Faces of India
Indian Mythologies
geographica indicaArts of India
Indian Music
Indian Culture
Indian Paintings
Dig Deep Browse by Tags
Site Map
Historical Timeline
Master Index
Research House of Pictures
Stamps of India
Picture Archive
Natives of India
Temples of India
Kamat Network
Blog Portal


(Keyword Search)

Medieval Sculpture: Paranagar (Alwar)

Title:Medieval Sculpture: Paranagar (Alwar)
Author:Jayakar, Pupul
Publication:Marg
Enumeration:Vol. 12 Issue no. 2; March 1959, p. 60-63
Abstract:Paranagar (Alwar) may have been associated with the Jaina Tirthankara Parasnatha. The city gateway, built by Jaya Singh Raja of Jaipur in 1689, makes it likely that the place was important till the 18th century. The main temple is dedicated to Neelkantheshwar (blue-throated god) Shiva, and an inscription dated VS 1010 (956 CE) ascribes the temple to Bargujar Raja Ajayapala. The pillars are carved with nayikas and frescos, while the garbhagriha has a black stone lingam. Other images found are of Shiva as Tripurantaka, Surya, and dancing Ganesha. Besides the ruins of a Jaina temple, the largest mound west of Garha village indicates some very early temples (mostly dated to the 9th-10th centuries). Some of the sculptures belong to the Gurjara-Pratihara period (6th-8th centuries).

Source of Abstract: Provided by Publisher

Tools:

Kamat Reference Database

Kamat's Potpourri Research Database Abstracts

.

© 1995-2018 Kamat's Potpourri All Rights Reserved. Do not reproduce without prior permission. Some disclaimers apply