Some Prominent Konkani Men and Women
First Online: April 22, 2005
Page Last Updated: April 04, 2014
The North American Konkani Association, as part of their "Remembering our past; Looking to our
future" program, asked me to assist in compiling a list of some prominent
Konkanis of 20th century.
Listed in alphabetical order of the names they are commonly referred
A.V. Baliga -- Distinguished Surgeon and Philanthropist
A.V. Shankar Rao -- (a.k.a Bhavanimam, 1893-1966) -- Founded Canara Union Co-operative Society
Ammembal Dinakar Rao --
(1909-1990) Composer of Hindustani Classical Music
Ammembal Subba Rao Pai --
Educationist, Philanthropist, and founder of Canara Bank
Ammembal Narayan Pai (Late)-- Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court and Chairman of Pai commission
which established highest scale salary for teachers and clerks in India
Ammembal Vithal Pai -- Once the senior most civil servant (ICS) who was
the Home Secretary of India. (brother of Ammembal N. Pai)
Ananth Pai, known as "Pai Uncle", the creator of Amar Chitra Katha
series of Indian comics
Arvind Savoor -- Acclaimed Billiards player
- B.B. Borkar (Baki Borkar)-- Poet in Konkani. Well known in Marathi as well.
- B.V. Baliga -- Editor of Konkani monthly "Panchkadayi"
- B.V. Nadkarni
Babuti Nayak -- Konkani dramatist and poet of Hosad village
- Bal Mundkur -- Creative advertisement guru
- Basti Pundalik Shenaoy -- Writer and historian of Konkani Language,
from town of Bantwal.
Basti Vaman Shenoy -- President of All India Konkani Parishad; organized world Konkani conference(1995) and All
India Saraswat Conference
Bantwal Madhav Shenoy -- Founder Mangalore Ganesha Beedies
Benegal Narasimha Rao
Benegal Rama Rao
Bidaram Krishnappa-- Karnataka vocalist court musician of Mysore
- Bhadragiri Achyut Das-- Outstanding Keertankar
- Bhadragiri KeshavDas (Late) -- Outstanding Keertankar
- Bhaskar Ramdas Shetty -- Konkani Poet and Translator
- Cha.Fra.D'Costa -- Distinguished poet
- Chandrabharga Devi (Late)-- Bharatanatyam dancer. Daughter of
Rao, well known essayist and humor writer in Kannada. He was the Professor of English and translated many
English classics into Kannada.
- Chandrakala S.Kamat -- Novelist in Malayalam, one of her novels Rugma (with Konkani
themes), was also made into a Malayalam movie with the same name.
- Chandrakant Kini -- Short story writer in Konkani
List incomplete. Please suggest additions to