Computing, Libraries, Tennis, India & other interests of Vikas Kamat
|Looking Back Seven Years...|| |
| Traffic Stabilization of Kamat's Potpourri|
For the first time in seven years, in September 2002, the
month-to-month traffic for Kamat.com is going to be less than its previous month. This might indicate that our viewership has stabilized at around 1.6 million page views per month.
Update: The viewership exceeded 2 million pages in April 2003. (May 1, 2003)
I think the traffic growth from month to month consistently for seven years is quite phenomenal. Unlike most sites, whenever there was a spike in traffic,
the increased level has continued to the next month.
FYI: The money we've spent on traffic generation is zero. Most people find out about the site via a search in Google, and subsequently type our URL for repeat visits. About 65% of readers surveyed (about 500 of them, take it anonymously -- it will help us
find new advertisers) said that they have book-marked the site.
Chronology of Kamat.com
- Started as a home page on AOL in Nov. 1995. The first attraction was tour of India in photo stubs.
- Registered the domain Kamat.com at the behest of B.G.Mahesh in Aug 1996.
- Moved to a new location at IAOL in Nov 1997. Added a search engine. Popularity jumps to over hundred accesses/day.
- Due to delay in publishing of the KalaRanga CD-ROM, started to publish the contents online. Accesses jump to over a thousand a day. (June 1998)
- We add a Kannada Section (Aug. 98) in Kannada Script, by popular request.
- The popularity of the site increases to over 2000 page views/day (October '98) and we decide to keep the site free of advertisements.
- A review by the Arts and Letters daily, more listings at Yahoo! and a Editor's Pick Listing at Bharat-Ek-Khoj propel daily readership to above 5000. Thank you viewers and reviewers! (January 1999)
- CHIP magazine names Kamat's Potpourri as one of India's best websites. (February 1999)
- Moved to new hosting provider HostPro, and added PICTURESeach
- Kamat's Potpourri's monthly viewership exceeds 150,000 (February 2000) after the popularity of our Rangoli section
- Added banner advertising (Sept. 2000)
- Number of pictures in Kamat House of Pictures crosses 4000 (February 2001)
- Monthly page views cross a million (June 2001)
- Number of pictures in Kamat House of Pictures crosses 6000 (October 2001)
- The capacity of the server is increased ten times (December 2001) due to increased traffic and content
- Number of pictures in Kamat House of Pictures crosses 7000 (May 2002)
- Rediff, Wired, BBC, ScriptingNews link to Kamat.com registering our highest traffic -- 1.65 million page views during the month (August 2002)
The Sixth Anniversary Blog
|(Comments Disabled for Now. Sorry!)||First Written: Friday, September 20, 2002|
Last Modified: 5/30/2003
|This is how I surf the web. Turns out
creating your own start page beats all portals, back-flipping,
personalized corporate pages, and book-marking tools.