Page First Created: May 26, 2000
Last Updated: September 02, 2016
Kamat's Potpourri is the personal home page of the four members of
the Kamat family:
Krishnanand Kamat, Jyotsna Kamat, Vikas Kamat and
Hiryoung Kim Kamat. Among them, they share three Doctorates, Five
Masters degrees and seven other University degrees, and Kamat's Potpourri constitutes over a hundred person-years of
We have taken the liberty to add Mr. Ganesh Burde's work as well. He is the
grandfather of Vikas (Jyotsna's father) and has helped the Kamats
tremendously over the years. All of the pictures in The Timeless Theater
Archive are by Krishnanand Kamat. Where necessary, we have used some content licensed
from professional sources.
How this Website is Produced
Carla King, an American journalist once exclaimed that Kamat's Potpourri is India's
most Low-Tech site (see: India's
Hi-tech-Lo-tech ). Krishna and Jyotsna do not have a
computer and instead prepare the contents manually in a extremely
laborious method and mail it to Vikas by
postal mail. The pictures are then scanned, articles retyped, and uploaded to
Update Feb 2006: Jyotsna has a PC now; and we use many
volunteers to type and scan the pictures.
Technology Behind the Website
- Pictures taken primarily with ORWO NP-55 Black and White Film
- Other Films used Kodak Echtachrome, Kodachrome,
KodaColor, some very old pictures are on 110 mm and even on
- Cameras: 1964 Exakta (a favorite), Pentax from 1980s,
Edixa, Exakta 400 mm Tele-lens (see : Kamat's
- Manuscripts and captions are still (year 2001) typed on 1959 Remington
- Over 200,000 pictures indexed on tiny pieces of paper wrapped
around the film reels. Keeping the moths and humidity away from
them is one of Kamat's pastimes.
- Pictures are cross indexed in Kamat's
diaries, the tens of
thousands of letters he has written, and a hand-developed
- Snail-Mail -- we have relied heavily on the Indian and United
States Postal Systems for mailing of our pictures and stories.
- Our Webserver is Apache
running on Linux and hosted by HostPro.
- Search Engine is a customized
implementation of ht://dig
and is used for full-text indexing
- Our spider is named Narad; he crawls at undisclosed
intervals and reports the meta information about the websites to our
- Our Web Directory is based on the Library of Congress Subject
Categorization. We may be the only ones doing so on the web.
- The PictureSearch and WWWW (Who's Who-What's
What) searches are
based on Microsoft's ActiveX technology.
- The electronic contents are managed by a sophisticated rule-based
content management system that we wrote ourselves based on static
rendering methods. It is used to manage the contents and insert hyperlinks.
- Other software tools used are Paint Shop Pro, PHP, Perl, Microsoft's
Active Server Pages, Microsoft Front Page, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server
...Kamat's Potpourri constitutes over a hundred person-years of